Clinical Practice Guideline
Obesity in Adults: A 2022 Adapted Clinical Practice Guideline for Ireland
Developed by the Association for the Study of Obesity on the Island of Ireland (ASOI), the Irish Coalition for People Living with Obesity (ICPO) and the HSE Obesity National Clinical Programme (NCP) alongside 70 specialists from all over Ireland have been working on adapting the Canadian CPGs for use in Ireland, using the ADAPTE framework. They come from a wide variety of multidisciplinary backgrounds and include academic and clinical researchers, anaesthetics, dietetics, endocrinology, epidemiology, general practice, midwifery, nursing, obstetrics, occupational therapy, patient representatives, physiotherapy, psychology, psychiatry, public health, pharmacology, respiratory, and surgical representatives.
The CPGs shift the focus from an exclusively body size diagnosis to a health-linked diagnosis of obesity. They shift the goals of management from weight change alone, to patient-centred health outcomes, functional outcomes, and social and economic wellbeing. They align with existing evidence-based principles of chronic disease management. These guidelines will act as a guide to high quality evidence-based obesity care, and in conjunction with the Model of Care for the Management of Adult Overweight and Obesity, improve the standard of care for individuals with obesity in all regions of Ireland.
A summary of the recommendations have been published in Obesity Facts alongside the 18 chapters listed below. These CPGs are a living document and will be updated as new evidence emerges.
- Reducing Weight Bias in Obesity Management, Practice and Policy
- Epidemiology of Adult Obesity [Coming soon]
- The Science of Obesity
- Prevention and Harm Reduction of Obesity (Clinical Prevention)
- Enabling Participation in Activities of Daily Living for People Living with Obesity
- Clinical Assessment of People Living with Obesity [Coming soon]
- The Role of Mental Health in Obesity Management
- Medical Nutrition Therapy in Obesity Management
- Physical Activity in Obesity Management [Coming soon]
- Effective Psychological and Behavioural Interventions in Obesity Management
- Pharmacotherapy in Obesity Management
- Bariatric Surgery: Selection and Preoperative Work-up
- Bariatric Surgery: Surgical Options and Outcomes
- Bariatric Surgery: Postoperative Management [Coming soon]
- Primary Care and Primary Healthcare in Obesity Management
- Commercial Products and Programs in Obesity Management
- Emerging Technologies and Virtual Medicine in Obesity Management
- Weight Management over the Reproductive Years for Adult Women Living with Obesity